The Day Has Finally Arrived

I have been dreading this day since I was ten years old.  I distinctly remember the conversation and have played it over and over in my head.  I don’t know why I found it so disturbing or why it has hung with me all this time, but it has.

We were driving in the family car, an early 1970′s green (I mean really green) Volkswagen Rabbit.

It looked like this car except my dad kept it in immaculate condition. Pretty sweet ride, right?

My mom was driving and my sister and I were in the backseat.  The pleather seats were a lovely shade of dark brown and had a small waffle texture that would imprint onto your legs if your shorts were short enough.  I can visualize the stretch of road we were on; Kennedy’s Lagoon was on our left and on our right was a grassy, sloping hill that gradually gave way to clusters of windblown evergreens.  My mom was about the same age that I am today and had just had a mammogram, one of her first, if not the first.

Perhaps it was because I was a rather naive child or maybe it was my tendency to be more of a tom boy or maybe kids those days didn’t know of such things, whatever the reason, I had never until that moment, heard of a mammogram.  I listened in growing horror as my mom told us about it, prodded for more and more details by my analytical older sister.  She told of cold metal plates that smooshed your breasts down into pancakes, first one and then the other.  She talked of how embarrassing it was and how painful.  She told us that we would one day have to have one.  I was appalled.  How could woman all over the country be subjected to such a barbaric sounding procedure?  Not to mention the embarrassment factor.  My ten year old mind was reeling.

Ever since that conversation I have hoped for great medical advances in the area of mammograms.  The time for such great advances has come and gone.  Due to the prevalence of breast cancer in my family, this year my OB recommended I get one to use “as a baseline.”  You think this would be no big deal for someone who has been through both an emergency c-section and a  natural, no drugs please, childbirth. But you would be wrong.  I am pretty freaked out about it.

So today is the day I will finally have to face this long held fear of mine.  It can’t be nearly as bad as I think it will be, right?  And I don’t even want to think of the possibility of receiving the test results no one wants to get…

This entry was posted in Sniffles & Seizures and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Day Has Finally Arrived

1. Mrsbear says:

Good luck! I’ve never had one either, it really does sound awful. I am amazed they haven’t made it a little less painful, you’d think some scientist having had her boobs painfully sloshed smooshed might have put that on a to-do list. Wishing you good results.

Actually they have breast ultrasounds which aren’t as uncomfortable as the actual mammogram. I also think the size of your breasts have a lot to do with it. Mine aren’t extremely large or extremely small and it doesn’t seem to bother me too much. Not nearly as bad as some of the horror stories I have heard. :-)

I hope yours went well.

I actually had a breast ultrasound done when I was pregnant with Cody and a questionable lump was noticed. I guess that technique is not as complete as the good ole mammogram. I managed quite well until after the four pictures she informed me that she needed to do two additional ones to get the lymph nodes. I mentally freaked out a bit wondering if she saw something on the other ones to warrant the additional pictures. Still waiting for results. The procedure was almost as bad as I thought it would be, but I survived to tell about it!

• Jodi Stone says:

I hope you get good news and fast! Waiting is the hardest part. What my mammographer (is that word) told me is that even though they aren’t allowed to ‘read’ the pictures they can generally tell if there is something there. If there is something very noticable she will go and get the Dr immediately.

Glad you got through it. :-)

3. shoes says:

Jodi – yesterday I got the call from the doctor’s office with GOOD news! :-) Big sigh of relief. And on an unrelated note, I got my free New Balance shoes yesterday too. They are kinda strange but I think I like them. I don’t think I would pay $95 for them, but free, that is a great price.

• hippyh says:

I am very glad you got good news. I haven’t had a mammogram before, but like you I don’t look forward to having one. My Mum has had several and she has always really dreaded them and then been really worried waiting for the results. So I’ve been very worried about her at times and I think my dread has been further fuelled by all that. Once again, I am very glad you got good results. I only wish I’d caught up sooner so I could have wished you Good Luck! :)