This Thanksgiving we (myself, Husband, the two boys, and our two dogs) will be heading up to my parents house. I have quite a bit of anxiety over this due to the rapid progression of my dad’s Alzheimer’s. I would say that about 95% of the time he is not who I remember him to be and that during that period he may not know who I am. It is stressful. It is hard to accept. It is not what past visits to my old childhood home with my husband and children used to be.
It is not all doom and gloom by any means. I love the feel of going home again. I love watching my boys erase the worry and tiredness from around my mom’s eyes as she laughs and builds marble mazes with them. I love how the boys have no reserve about leaping into their Grandpa’s lap and tickling him. He may not know who they are but he likes them. He may not know who I am but he knows that he loves me.
So without further ado here is my list of things I am thankful for. It is lighthearted and in no specific order.
- Hot coffee, black and strong, first thing in the morning.
- The snoring of little boys fast asleep in their beds.
- Furry dog paws.
- Burt’s Bees lip balm.
- The great assortment of birds that visit our backyard even when they guilt me into trudging out in the rain to refill their feeders (shame on me for letting them run low in the first place).
- This link to a video of farting dinosaurs – it makes the boys and I laugh every time.
- Flannel sheets.
- Microbrew beer.
- The sound of the ocean.
- My vacuum cleaner.
- Waving neighbors.
- Our one acre of land on which sits our little house, complete with forest and mossy patch.
- All the people and places in my past, good and bad, that made me the person I am today.
- Spray ‘n wash.
- Kisses of both the lip and chocolate varieties.
- The smell of lemon verbena.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Hot showers.
- My family & friends.