From the Window I Spied…

Husband standing, waiting a small blue backpack with an orange shark print motif dangled from one hand.  Barely in view, crouched down in the middle of our driveway was Carter examining what was left of our snow – tire crushed, frozen snow slush.  They walked slowly towards the house, Husband stopping every few steps and glancing back nodding at whatever Carter was saying.

The boy in the puffy blue jacket flitted from snow pile to ice chunk, from snow covered branch, to mud puddle carefully looking, studying little pieces of nature as only a three year old can do.  I smiled, hidden in the shadows behind the window.  It was such a treat to watch him from the inside looking out.  I reveled in not being the one coaxing him forward ever so slowly step by step, back to the house from the bus stop.  I was only an observer.

As they got closer and into the yard they gravitated to what was left of our snowman, a lopsided snowball the size of a beach ball, one lone branch-arm pointing accusingly to the sky as if cursing the warming trend of the last few days.  Carter plucked the branch out of the snow and started poking at it.  A chunk broke off.  Husband picked it up and tossed it.  As it came down he kicked it with his size 14 foot and it exploded in a burst of snow flurry.  I heard Carter laugh.  I imagined Carter asking his papa to do it again as Husband scooped up another snow chunk and proceeded to punt it to the sky.  After a couple more chunks were kicked they turned and headed my way.  Smiling, I ducked back into the kitchen to stir the leftover soup and take the warm bread out of the oven.  Time for lunch.

~

This entry was posted in Little Feet and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to From the Window I Spied…

1. Johnny says:

Gotta savor those times because they are gone too quickly! Good job taking time out to enjoy the moment and not get caught up in all the things that need to get done.

Aren’t those moments just so special? I’m glad you have the opportunity to experience that.

3. It’s great when you can step back and enjoy an experience like this! It’s little special moments like these that I try to look for every day because it makes life worth living! :) Thanks for the post!

You are welcome! It is not often I am able to do this. I quite often find myself rushing from one thing to the next and not taking the time to be in the moment even though I know it is those little moments that count so much.

What a beautiful post. It’s so nice to take those moments just to observe, isn’t it?

5. Beth says:

Lucky boy, lucky mommy, good daddy. With the rush to get places and do things, it can be very hard to allow a small child to set the pace.

You put it well that it is hard to allow a small child to set the pace, we adults are always busy and on the go. It is nice to slow down every now and again and just let it be.

6. edrevets says:

Window watching is the best—the separation almost creates another world. I like watching these things in silence, since there’s more room for your own interpretation. I’m also a creep and like watching through windows in general.

You describe window watching well, well enough indeed that I had to check out your blog to deem you a safe non-creepy window watcher. :-)
      Not only was I, the watcher, separated from the events unfolding through the pane, but the subjects of my attention were naturally and casually going about their business, their actions not modified by the weight of an audience.