Practically Living at the YMCA Pool

A week or two ago (actually I have no idea when, since having children my concept of time has become skewed and everything seems about a week or two ago) we were at the YMCA for Cody’s physical therapy swim.  He has been doing really well in the poo,l not only strengthening his muscles but learning how to swim.  The aquatics director at the Y noticed his improvement and started talking with Cody’s therapist.  The next thing I know they are offering us a swimming program called adaptive swim.

Adaptive swim is basically one on one swimming lessons for kids with special needs.  It is free with our membership just like normal swimming lessons.  They are offering it to us three times a week instead of the usual two (I am not sure why but I am also not asking.)  The instructors have been working with Cody’s PT swim therapist so they are aware of his abilities and limitations.  Cody loves it!  And did I mention it’s free?  We pay $140 an hour for PT every other week and only $70 for the swim PT during the off weeks since it is a thirty minute session.  This seriously adds up.  Being able to drop the swim PT while getting six times more for free is truly a beautiful thing.

The only downside is that I have to face my borderline phobia of public bathrooms/changing rooms more often.  The YMCA has family changing rooms so we are offered some privacy but still – yuck.  I am constantly harping on the boys not to touch the floor, not to let their towels touch the floor, and for God’s sakes how many times do I have to tell you to get your hand off the door handle, we are not all dressed yet!  By the time we are all dressed I am a nervous wreck and want to burn any and all articles of clothing that may or may not have touched any surface of the room.

Oh and the toilets, don’t get me started!  All the family changing rooms have one of those automatic flushing toilets.  Fine, I don’t have to foot flush and worry about my flip flop falling in the bowl, except these ones must have been designed by a very enthusiastic toilet engineer because it does not just flush, it FLUSHES.  The thing practically explodes in a fountain of water, spraying up and out in all directions.  And it does this just a fraction of a second before you are done with your business.  It is truly horrifying.

I know that the benefits of adaptive swim outweigh my issues with public facilities so we will keep going.  I have found some self preservation to be essential to my wellbeing.  First off, before any swim day I purposely dehydrate myself to minimize the need to use the YMCA’s bidet.  I get Cody in his suit at home so all he has to do is shower before his lesson.  I bring new and hopefully exciting books to lure Carter to hang out with me poolside so he does not want to swim.  It is so much easier to change only one child (plus then I don’t have to go in the pool.)  I feel guilt about this every time we go but justify my lack luster performance in this area with the fact that I do other amazingly motherly things like baking banana bread and always knowing where their favorite stuffed animal is.

So when the boys grow up Carter falls in the ocean and starts to sinks like a stone due to his lack of childhood swimming at least I can toss him his stuffed hippo to use as a flotation device along with a Ziploc baggie of banana bread to stave off his hunger while the coast guard come to his rescue.

This entry was posted in Little Feet and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Practically Living at the YMCA Pool

1. I don’t know if you meant for this to be funny but I find your process of dealing with the public bathrooms, etc. to be just that.

UGH, I can so relate. I took my grandson for swimming lessons last year. Anti-bactieral squirt. I live on that.

I foresee many many months, possibly years of swim lessons in my future. I don’t think there in enough anti-bacterial squirt in the world to get me through. At least they are past the age when I had to be in the pool with them participating in the swim lessons.

3. I have those issues too! Except at my house where I do not think our dirt is dirty!

4. twisteddomesticgoddess says:

Holly since being a baby has been scarred for life by more than one of those extreme flushing toilets! This sounds like an awesome opportunity though!

The swim lessons are so great for Cody. They not only build up his muscles and teach him how to swim but they bolster his confidence. That is huge and worth battling nasty toilets with attitude. Ugh!

• Definitely! We just got done with swim lessons and watching my oldest bonus child go from barely wanting to put her face in the water to jumping off the diving board the very last day was awesome! My kiddos all did well also and when Kenna learned she passed her level she was in shock because she was sure she wasn’t going to. Nathaniel is even going to check out swim team!

My eldest still has a piece of his baby blanket – it has traveled with him through college, Baghdad and now at his home with his wife (though now it resides in their linen closet). I see nothing wrong with a hippo flotation device being a transitional object that remains through adulthood..:-)

That is sweet. I still have my baby blanket tucked away in a closet somewhere and have given several of my childhood stuffed animals to the boys.

6. Kelly says:

HA! I wrote about my disdain for the pool bathroom recently. http://excitementontheside.com/2012/07/10/welcome-to-our-ool/ I found you from Emily at The Waiting. I’m glad I did. :)

I am glad you found me too and thank you for letting me know where you found me from (Emily is great, isn’t she?!) I look forward to reading about your pool bathroom adventures, misery loves company. :-) My blogging time is rather limited for the next week or so as my MIL is in town visiting but I promise I will head over to your blog when I have more than a couple minutes carved out for blog reading.

7. We’ve been living at the pool at the Y, too! The splash pad at the one near my house rocks my socks. Way better than going to some expensive theme park. But you’re right, the bathrooms are the WORST.

We have never been to one of those expensive theme parks (must keep the kids’ expectations low and all that) but instead rock the Y and the few free public splash parks located in the next town over. The boys love it and I enjoy watching them have a great time but the knowledge that the public bathrooms await us after all the fun does put a damper on the experience for me.
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

8. Beth says:

Give yourself further credit. Because you have braved the locker rooms, Cody will have the swimming skills to rescue Carter should any swim emergency happen. The mom doesn’t always have to be the rescuer, just the one to get all the pieces in place so the rescue can happen.

Hahaha – I like the way you think! Your scenario is much better than mine. I will try to remember that I am simply putting the pieces in place every time I step into that awful changing room.