Mad as a Hornet

It was Husband’s second day of work at his new job.  He had just finished saying goodbye to us.  The boys and I were still at the table finishing up our breakfast when Delilah came in the doggy door.  “Came in” is too mild a description, she burst through in a flash of fuzzed up black fur.  She was in a full on run.  She made two laps around our house, fur extended with that crazy-in-the-eyes look cats sometimes get.  We laughed over that crazy Delilah cat, Husband went out the door to work, and we went back to eating.  Delilah leapt up into her cat tower but moments later was back down and running again.

Something was wrong.  I thought that a raccoon or stray cat had scared her.  She was spooked.  I followed her and was able to scooped her up when she took a moment to pause.  I put her in my lap and brushed her fur with my hand.  Something sharp, shocking.  A feeling like bacon grease splattering or a droplet of hot water splashing while draining pasta, burned on my hand.  I looked down, Delilah stayed on my lap long enough for me to see it wiggling, burrowing deeper into her fur.  A yellow and black hornet.

I ran after her, grabbing a baby wipe from the pack that will forever be on our kitchen counter as long as there are sticky kid hands in our house.  I must have been forming a plan as I ran and somehow it involved a baby wipe.  I caught up to her in the t.v. room and pinned her to the floor.  There is nothing quite like the experience of reaching your bare fingers into a pissed off cat’s fur, knowing you are trying to grab an angry hornet.

I located the hornet with my fingers then put the baby wipe over it and tried to squeeze.  Delilah howled and scratched.  She writhed and somewhere in the process I learned that her breakaway safety collar works as I was left holding an open collar.  I grabbed a handful of angry cat and tried again.  She bit.  I persisted.  After what seemed like an epic battle I stepped away, the victor.  Clutched in my fist, the baby wipe and a dead hornet.  Blood dripped from my hand in two places, the hornet sting was throbbing, and the left knee of my pants were ripped.  I must have looked crazed.

Delilah wanted nothing to do with me after that.  She ignored my peace offering of cat treats and did not want to be touched.  During the time I was cleaning and bandaging my wounds, she left the house.  It was then that I started to worry about her.  I called the vet and was told to look for signs of a reaction: swelling, vomiting, lethargy.  They gave me the correct dosage of Benadryl for a cat and told me to monitor her.  I searched in the backyard.  I searched in the front yard.  The boys and I searched the house.  She did not want to be found.  I have learned that a cat who does not want to be found will not be found.

While we were looking and not finding, she crept back into our house and hid in Carter’s closet.  We found her there several hours later looking as fine as could be.  A day later she is allowing me to pet her and feed her snacks and seems to have forgiven me completely.  She is currently convalescing in the sun but I know it is a farce for actually she is fully alert in her lounging,  just three feet from the bottom of the birdfeeders.

Either I have forgotten how difficult and entertaining it is to have a cat or Delilah is just a little bit extra of a cat and will give us the ride of our lives.  At least it makes for good blogging material because there is no way I could make this stuff up on my own.

Hornet

Have you ever picked a mad hornet off the back of a pissed off cat? I have.

This entry was posted in Furry Feet (and fish) and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Mad as a Hornet

1. A heroic achievement! not the easiest thing to do, wither, I imagine…

2. Ashley says:

Oh my goodness! I must admit, I am not a cat person, but you are a hero!

I felt so bad for Delilah that there was really nothing to do but try to get it off her. I can’t imagine how the darn thing got in her fur to begin with.

3. Mary Ann says:

No, I haven’t. You are very brave and kind. I’m glad she forgave you!

Cats are so fickle I was not sure she would let me pet her after such a traumatic event. She seemed off all day but is back to herself now and happy to snuggle on my lap once again.

4. You have inspired me to be brave if this ever happens to my cat!

I hope you never have to do this but I have shown that at least it is possible. I am surprised I was only stung once. Most of my wounds were caused by Delilah.

Wow – this post was so gorgeously written, I felt each scatch, bite and overall distress!! I bow before your tenacity and intent to give Delilah some peace – at a high cost to your skin and nerves!!

I felt so bad for her as I am sure she did not know what was going on only that it hurt and she could not fight it herself. It freaked the boys out a lot and Cody even climbed up and stood on his dining room chair because he did not know what was going on. I was too focused on helping the cat that I could not give them a play by play on things as I usually do.

• mimijk says:

Are you kidding? I think you showed incredible presence of mind and focus!! I am sure they now understand what you were doing – and have another reason to add to the long list of why they’re mom is absolutely awesome…

6. Aww Delilah is so lucky to have you guys! Poor kitty those hornets can be nasty!

She is such a sweetie cat, we are happy she adopted us. That being said, I do wish she would stop bringing in dead/not quite dead animals into our house and maybe she could try to avoid hornets in the future. :-)

I am allergic to those kinds of bees, we call them yellow-jackets. They are nasty mean. I have never picked one off a pissed off cat. If I had to I would.

As for the cat, I think it is something in the name…:-)

I think you have something about the name. We must never let your Delilah and my Delilah get together!

I have heard hornets called yellow-jackets before but I am not sure if they are the same thing. I do know they are nasty suckers as they can sting multiple times. It must suck to be allergic to them, it would make me paranoid to go outside.

8. You and Delilah were very brave especially you Shoes. I am glad that evrything is back to normal. That yellow jacket didn’t know who it was messing with! ;)