Hanging with the Skater Boys on a Tuesday Afternoon

Ever since Carter can remember, he and I have been making almost weekly trips to the local skate park.  When he was a baby and a small toddler he rode in his stroller and later, as the years went by, he walked with me.

Skater baby in training

We would go to the skate park for something to do, somewhere to go, during the hour of time that Cody had his physical therapy.  There is not much else around the business complex so the skate park became our hang out.

As the name implies, the skate park is mostly designed for skateboarders but there is a very small playground next to it which we would frequent.  Shortly after Carter started walking he began to show an interest in the skateboarders.  He would take off in his little boy run, his cute diaper padded bottom swaying from side to side.  Up the grassy hill he would dash and I had better be quick to catch up to him.  For at the top of the hill was a narrow strip of concrete and then an immediate drop off, maybe eight or nine feet down of curved concrete forming a large bowl that is connected to the rest of the skateboarding area.  Just standing too close to the edge makes the palms of my hands breakout into a sweat.  He would stand there in awe watching the skater boys (I am not being sexist here; I have yet to see a girl skater) do their tricks.

A couple weeks ago when Cody’s school had started but Carter’s had not (the time otherwise known as the-two-weeks-where-I-about-lost-my-mind-because-Carter- expected-me-to-entertain-him-all-day-long) I thought a trip to a park would be nice.  I asked him where he wanted to go.  Without hesitation he told me he wanted to ride his scooter at the skate park, something he had never asked to do before.

Skater boy

Now Carter is a very active boy but his mastery of the scooter is rather lacking.  Carter, however, does not acknowledge this fact.  I had no idea that he would scoot off into the concrete bowels of the skate park, drag his scooter up a steeply inclined hill, and attempt to skate down it.

Skater boy without hesitation

Had I not been so busy taking pictures of him (because he is just too darn cute!) I would have realized what was going on in his little mind and may have been able to shriek out a Carter stop!, or a Carter be careful! although in all honestly my warning would not have slowed him down one bit.  Luckily I always travel with a makeshift first aid kit and had packed ample snacks.  (Please feel free to oh and ah in the appropriate manner at the owie on Carter’s knee.)

Skater Boy Collage

We hung out at the skate park for over an hour.  During that hour the skate park got rather busy.  I am a bad judge of age but since it was a school day, and much too early in the year to start playing hooky, I assumed most of them were older than high school age.  I was feeling out of my element and gently tried to nudge Carter into leaving but the more skaters that showed up the more fun he was having.  They were all very polite and even told me they would watch out for him.  I was the only female there and was getting more than a few glances.  I should say that I did not feel at all threatened, just very self- conscious.  After I finally bribed convinced Carter it was time to leave I noticed several of the guys looking over their shoulders at me as I was loading up our car.

I would like to think they thought I was cute or cool instead of the-crazy-mom-of-a-four- year-old-hanging-out-at-the-skate-park-on-a-Tuesday-afternoon that I really am.  If they only knew that in my purse was a copy of the Reader’s Digest I was hoping to read while Carter scooted, I am sure my coolness factor would have suffered dramatically.

This entry was posted in Little Feet and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Hanging with the Skater Boys on a Tuesday Afternoon

They definitely thought you were a cute and cool mom – for you are!! And they probably thought that Carter was pretty darn adorable too – for he most assuredly is!! And intrepid – owie and all!!

It was pretty cute the way some of the skater guys treated Carter, almost like he was their younger brother, watching out for him so he wouldn’t get hurt. After his great fall Carter told me he needed me to buy him knee and elbow pads like Franklin in the Franklin turtle books we read. I think he is probably right about that.

2. Readers digest isn’t cool? Good to know. :)

I was just going out on a limb about RD’s cool factor, but judging by the age group and their choice of past time activities, I don’t think they all had copies of Reader’s Digests in their cars to peruse between 360 pop shuv its and heel flips, but I could be wrong. And yes, I had to look up that skateboarding lingo in case you were wondering… :-)

3. Very cool! Sounds like a great day.

4. Christine says:

Holy crap! That toddler picture (not a BABY picture) is so cute I can’t stand it. What. A. Doll.

5. Beth says:

Cargo camo shorts, hoody, and rockin’ sneaks – Carter is already in cool skater boy territory. I am impressed that you had not only snacks but a first aid kit. During the period of time when Laura was potty trained and pre-second child where a diaper bag was not needed, I was caught lacking both on a couple occasions.

I almost never leave home without my trusty JanSport red backpack complete with antibacterial spray, band-aids, wipes, a change of clothes for all, and a couple books. Any trip to the park requires a snack bag and (if I remember) a water bottle.

Carter picked out his outfit for the day. I wonder if as he was getting dressed he was thinking about going to the skate park… That kid has more style sense than I do!

OMG my heart was in my throat when you said he took off down the hill. Thankfully his knee was the only body part that suffered an owie.

Oh for sure, they thought you were a MILF.

That boy has no fear and will age me well before my time. He is also tough. Right after falling he grabbed his scooter and ran back up the hill where he sat and cried. He did not want me to comfort him for the first minute or so but instead wanted to hide his face in his sleeve and sob. It was so sad, the poor guy. An offer of a snack and some hugs did the trick though. I think he was more in it for the snack than the hugs since I had put a couple mini chocolate chip cookies in his trail mix but I take my Carter hugs however I can get them.

Ha! I don’t want to be thought of as a MILF, ugh! Just mildly cute, thank you. :-)