Do you Sock and Sandal?

I never meant for it to happen but happen it has.  It is with some shame and apprehension that I tell you, I have become one of those people.  You know the ones.  They flip-flop around or look granola in their Birkenstocks or outdoor-rugged in their Tevas.  These people are fine until they add the sock.

Awful Sandal and Sock Collage

Oh I know, some people can get away with such a thing and there is even a chance that it may be considered fashionable.  During my two minute Google search I came across a small party of people who are saying that this longtime hell-no! fashion faux pas of wearing socks with sandals is becoming in vogue.  Since I know nothing about fashion and its trending, I remain leery of pairing the two.

Socks with sandals fashion

It all started innocently enough with a trip to our local thrift store.  I was there searching for a strainer to use in the cleaning of our fish tank gravel (glamorous, I know) and somehow I ended up in front of the woman’s shoe racks.  There they were.  They looked brand new.  They were in my size.  It was love at first sight and the price was right, only ten dollars.  I bought them and looked them up on-line when I got home – Keen Summer Golden Sandal in the color Chocolate Chip.

Keen Summer Golden Sandal

Even the name is glorious and the retail price of $80 make me smug.  The only problem I could see was that they were so comfortable I did not want to wait until next year for sandal weather to wear them.  Oh no, I wanted to wear them as long as I could before the rains came.  I wore them with pants and no socks for a while despite my less than sexy flip-flop tan line.  But then it started to get chilly and my feet got cold.

Sandals with tan line

It started with the simple and blah cream colored sock, the gateway sock.  It quickly escalated to a black dress sock with a colorful and elaborate stitching of a peacock running up the back calf.  Only I knew the peacock was there as my pant legs covered it, but still it felt daring.  Then it just became ugly as I busted out my screaming yellow, orange, and red striped socks.

Striped Socks with Sandals

There is no saving me at this point.  The sandals are just that comfortable.  I will try my best to keep my sock and sandal wearing discreet to the point that I am not wearing shorts or a skirt with them.  But I can’t promise you anything…

socks and sandals ecard

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Do you Sock and Sandal?

I hope this is freshly pressed!! I am laughing out loud at the car wash!

2. Traci says:

I’ve got to admit, I like the orange striped sock/sandal combo. Do you think there’s a support group for this? :)

3. And to think I have been wearing socks with sandals for years on end like it was in fashion!!!! I love your sandals and I thought it looked pretty pretty with those stripey socks. But then, you better not be listening to me about fashion :D Hugs! Sharon

I am quite sure that I would have been a life long sock and sandal wearer like you but I spent ten years in Arizona where there is little need for the sock and since living in the PNW, when there is sun I bust out the flip flops. Now that I have a wonderful comfy sandal though, all bets are off.

Let you and I pretend it is in high fashion and who knows, maybe we can start a trend? :-)

4. didn’t you know it is okay to wear socks with closed toe sandals – very fashionable and cute if you ask me (though you didn’t but if you had–I would say they were very cute–particularly with the striped socks–and I consider myself very fashion forward)

5. Alex says:

OH Shoes! How I am always entertained by you! Go ahead and rock your sandals ans socks!!!

Happy to entertain you, my friend! I fear that our weather has finally turned wet so I may have to wait a while to rock my sandal-sock combo but rock it I will when the sun comes back. :-)

You are extremely bold, some might even say daring. :-)

I rock the socks too. That’s what I’m calling it, rock the socks. I may even find a pair of toe socks so I can continue to wear my flip flops in the colder weather, as long as there is no snow. :-)

Go ahead with your bad self Shoes, rock the sock.

I am a huge fan of crazy socks. My friends know it and typically get me socks for a present! I have not been bold enough to do the flip flop-toe sock combo and don’t know if I will ever reach that level of boldness in my sock wearing. I hope you do! :-)

7. I think it looks adorable!!

8. jensine says:

I think it looks okay as you can’t really see they are sandals and I am all for the “if you are going to do it do it in colour” so no cream/black or brown socks go spotty, stripy, flowery etc

That’s what I thought – as long as I wear long pants they are hardly noticeable as sandals. I have a great collection of colorful and crazy socks that will go quite nicely with my new sandals!

9. Please just don’t wear them out of the house!

10. muddledmom says:

This makes me laugh. I take my socks off to put my sandals on to go get the mail! However, if I had cute striped ones like you do, maybe I’d reconsider.

It sounds to me that you are a closet sock-sandal wearer. Get yourself some bright striped socks and embrace your inner sock-sandal wearing self (well, as long as you are wearing long pants with them, no point in freaking out the neighbors now is there?) :-)

11. Mary Ann says:

It seems like all of my pet peeves turn into the latest fashion, but it does look great on you! Have you gotten many double takes?

12. I think under long trousers it looks fine because then you can’t tell that they’re sandals! Otherwise, I’m afraid I’d have to shun you a little bit :)

I would expect nothing less than a little shunning if I am seen roaming around with the full on sock-sandal combo with anything but long pants. Feel free to shun me if my fashion sense gets that far out of whack! :-)

13. I think your shoes – since they are closed toe – look cute with the striped socks! I am not a sock with sandal girl, but I have been known to have some socks with Crocs once in a while. The high school students that I teach almost ALL wear Adidas flip flops with black socks and shorts. Very odd indeed. Great post!

I agree with you. My sandals “put it out there less” that I am wearing the sock/sandal combo and it looks alright. The Adidas flip flop, black sock and shorts thing, well, I think I will leave that to the teenagers. :-)

Alright, I’m going to say something that will immediately identify to everyone how little fashion no-how I have, but I LOVE the orange and yellow striped socks with your sandals. (This may also be the result of spending a lot of time with my 4-yr-old daughter who claims to know everything about fashion and pairs wild, bright patterns together all the time (something I would never do, but she looks good in everything she picks). ;)

It is perfectly fine to love the orange and yellow striped sock and sandal combo, but I actually wear it outside the house! I am trying to convince myself that with long pants I can pull this display of fashion unawareness off. I am glad to hear that you and your daughter approve of the look.

15. :lol: Oh dear. The professor has often thought about this. I think you look just fine with socks and sandals. However, I don’t think the professor would look too good!

It takes a special someone to pull off the sock and sandal look. I am not sure it is a good thing that I can pull this off, but I choose to take it as a compliment. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me some of your thoughts.