Dear Students

Dear Students,

Good morning and welcome to Second Grade!  This is going to be one very amazing year and I am glad that as your teacher, I get to share it with you.

I have been thinking of what to say to you on this very first day of school, thinking of what you would want to know about me.  I could tell you about my educational background – that before I went back to school to earn my teaching certificate and Master’s degree – I was a Microbiologist.  I could tell you that I am a life long learner, I love learning and will never stop.  I could tell you that I recently moved back to Phoenix from Washington State.  I moved back because I missed the desert too much; Arizona is in my soul.  I could tell you that I have been married to Mr. M, my husband, for over ten years and that we have two wonderfully sweet, kind boys, one in first grade and the other in third grade.  I could tell you about our dog and cat.

I could tell you all about those things, but during the time we are together you will get to learn about who I am as I will get to learn about you – your interests, your families, your dreams and goals.

What I want you to know about me is simple.  I want you to know that, even though I am meeting you for the very first time, I care about each and every one of you.  I believe in you and know that you are capable of great successes both at school in reading, writing, math and more, but also in life, in becoming who you want to be.  I am here to challenge you, to push you, and to cheer you on.  I am here to celebrate your successes and help you see that mistakes are learning moments to treasure, for they only make you stronger.

Oh yes, this year is going to be amazing and I don’t want to wait another moment so lets get started.  Welcome to Second Grade – I am proud to call myself your teacher.

~Mrs. M~

Sorry about my very distinct lack of blogging.  My house is filled with boxes, my brain (and several yellow legal notepads) are filled with lesson planning ideas and first days of school activities.  In thirty-five short days I will stand in a classroom filled with students, my very first class of students.  Those moments are powerful and I want them to resonate with compassion, hope, and excitement for a brand new school year.  I am composing what to say.  This is only one of many drafts floating around in my head.  I figured I would type it out and see how these words of mine look.

I may tweak them a bit, but I must say that I think I like the look of them.

This entry was posted in On Becoming a Teacher and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Dear Students

1. Geoff says:

I kinda think they mostly want to know when recess is ;-)

I kind of want to know when recess is too. My principal sent me the tentative classroom schedule but neglected to include recesses…

2. ksbeth says:

i’m so excited for you!

3. I’m excited for you … and for them!

4. Welcome back to the land of the living sun! You will have to change your header from all that rainy day footwear to sandals or something. That is, after the boxes make a disappearing act. Congrats on a new chapter in life!

Ha! I LOVE your idea of changing my header to flip flops and sandals. We have not left Washington yet, but will very soon. Everything is rather chaotic and I can’t wait to get there and start nesting both in our short term rental apartment as we look for a house and in my very first classroom. Such adventures!

• Good luck on the move! Are the boys excited, too?

The boys are very excited, more about the lure of having a pool at our apartment and eventually at our house. They both have started talking about what they will miss about our current home and town. Cody is especially concerned about not knowing anyone on the first day of school. They are processing how big this is. But then again, so am I.

5. st sahm says:

Our youngest is going to be a second grader this fall. I’d be putty in your hands as room mom if this was your greeting letter!! A loving teacher makes for a happy and fun year!

Ahhh – I would consider myself very lucky to have you as my room mom!

When I wrote this, I was thinking that these would more or less be the words I would say to my class at some point during our first day together but now that you said it, I just might make it my before the start of the year greeting letter that I mail to each student.

6. Stephanie says:

What an exciting time for you! I have had so many teachers during my life and I have to say some of my grade school teachers were the most memorable/inspiring. Wishing you the best as you start this new chapter!

I have fond memories of many of my grade school teachers as well. I hope I can be that teacher my students look back in a positive light.

7. Wishing you all the best for this new chapter in your life. Cody and Carter must be quite excited to go to a new place ! :)

Thank you. The boys are both excited but realize that there will be many things they will miss about our current house and town. They are quite happy to hear that having a pool at our AZ home is a requirement as we start our house search.