Is it Past Your Bedtime Yet…How ‘Bout Now?

We spend the better part of yesterday evening in the Emergency Room at Children’s Hospital.

Cody had been complaining of a headache that would disappear when he laid down but would come back in full force when he would stand up or walk around.  On top of that he had no qualms about being told to lay down and rest.  And when he actually fell asleep in the late afternoon and slept for a good hour and a half – something he would never normally do – I knew where we were headed.  I was expecting the worst.

Cody has a VP shunt.  He has not had a shunt failure, unless you count the several that occurred before he even left the hospital after he was born.  Shunts have a greater than 95% fail rate and some of the signs of a shunt malfunction are headaches and lethargy.  Typical ailments for the most of us…

After waffling and being noncommittal, I asked the question, “How many warning signs do we need before we know, before we get in that car and drive the hour drive to the hospital?”  The truth is that we don’t know and I guess if it was very apparent, and we actually did know, then we would not even take the time to pack an overnight bag just in case.

So we went.  Cody was tired in the car but perked up after a while.  By the time we got there he was acting perfectly normal.  But still…  We didn’t know.

There was much time spent answering questions, hooking up machines that beeped and blinked – all very reminiscent of his first three months of life.  There were CT scans and X-rays and those voices in my head reminded me of the research that children that get routine X-rays are at a higher risk for all sorts of cancers.

Husband went in with Cody to the CT and X-rays while I wandered the halls with Carter.  One hallway had all the planets decorating the floor and so we made a game of it.  Can you tiptoe to Pluto (yes, yes, yes, I know that Pluto is not really a planet anymore…)?  Can you count the stars – and don’t forget that the sun is a star?  A nice nurse gave Carter some stickers.  He really held up very well considering the majority of the attention was not on him and we were there for hours.

Near the end of the visit, I made a comment to Husband that not only did we blow way past the boys’ bedtimes but we were rapidly encroaching on my bedtime.  Carter’s ears perked up.

carter:  Momma.  When do you go to bed?

me:  Oh, shortly after you and Cody do.

carter:  But when momma?  Is it your bedtime now?

me:  Not too much longer after you and Cody go to bed.  It is not quite my bedtime yet – but soon.

carter:  How ‘bout now momma?  Is it your bedtime now?

me:  No, not yet.

It went on like this until he started to pry out of me exactly how many minutes it would be until my bedtime.  I am not sure why the fascination but it was strong.  It did not stop until I had proclaimed that it was indeed past my bedtime.

Today I did not go into my classroom.  I did not student teach.  Moments before we left for the hospital last night, I emailed my mentor teacher two days worth of lesson plans because I just did not know what we were dealing with.  It was not that she needed the plans – she has been teaching for 19 years and I think she could easily wing it – it was because I needed to let her know that I was ready, I was prepared and that I was not taking the decision to step away lightly.  This morning I could not bring myself to send Cody off to school.  Not yet.  Husband had a meeting he did not want to miss, but in all fairness, had I even pushed a little, had I not volunteered to stay home, he would have called in.  But I needed to stay home with Cody, I did.  For me.

Cody was fine.  He ate, he rested (begrudgingly), he helped me clean.  I made him do math and read stories to me.  We made strawberry smoothies and snuggled with the dog.

Tonight the boys went to bed at their normal bedtime but they did not sleep.  I kept hearing them talking, laughing.  I let it go on longer than I would usually do.  Finally I got up and went it.  I turned on my stern mommy voice, popped open the door and firmly stated that it was past their bedtime, that it was almost past mine, and that I needed them to turn their voices off and get some rest.

There was silence in the dim nightlight lit room.  Then two little voices piped up from the bottom bunk – sorry momma.  Yeah, sorry momma.

It gave me pause and it took me a moment to realize that Carter and climbed down his ladder and was snuggled up in bed with Cody.  I have never seen him do this before.

And then Carter asked me, Momma, is it past your bedtime?

It wasn’t then – now it almost is.

This time the CT and the X-rays showed no change in Cody’s ventricles – no swelling.  There was nothing abnormal in the images of his shunt.  This time everything was okay.

There is a new day ahead.  It is time to try and put those worries behind and move forward.

It is indeed my bedtime.

About Shoes

I am an elementary school teacher, a former microbiologist, a mom to a herd of two boys, and a grilled cheese sandwich and beer connoisseur.
This entry was posted in Sniffles & Seizures and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Is it Past Your Bedtime Yet…How ‘Bout Now?

  1. amomnextdoor says:

    Wow, Momma. May your rest be sweet with relief.

  2. Hetterbell says:

    I’m so glad everything worked out alright, but it’s scary until you know, isn’t it?

  3. It is so good to hear that everything is fine! Take care and try to leave it behind!
    My heart is always melting when I see my boys sleeping or resting together. For boys I think it is big step to lifelong friendship.

  4. Sending a hug your way and hope you were able to get some sleep! I’m sure you have an even more attuned sense of all there is to worry about than some of us – but with it also comes a more attuned sense of all there is to be thankful for. Thank you for sharing all of that in this post.

    • shoes says:

      I try not to write too much about it, the sense of living in this shadow of anxiety and fear, just waiting for his shunt to fail so we can rush him off to surgery. Awful. I try not to think too much about it but I am extremely aware of any changes in him that may be signs. I hope he does not remember me as being an overprotective, hovering, crazy mom throughout his childhood but I rather need to be to some degree.

  5. Not quite 40 says:

    I didn’t realise I was holding my breath as I read your post, until I took the big breath at the end. Phew. Thank goodness. God bless you all. Hugs, and ….sleep well!

    • shoes says:

      Glad you remembered to breath there at the end. 🙂 I had to keep reminding myself to take it one step and to breath and to not think too far out while we were at the hospital. One part of me in the moment to comfort my sweet boy and the other part of me planning who will take care of the dog and how I can adjust my student teaching if I needed to be with him for days. I am glad it was nothing and we can try and move on from it.

  6. So much suspense, I can’t take it! Thank God your boy is ok!

    Seriously, though, get some rest.

    • shoes says:

      Ha – sorry to stress you out – all is well for now. The experience has brought up conversations with Cody about shunt failure and what that looks like and will entail. I don’t want him to fret about it but at the same time it is our reality.
      For now we rest and recover and move forward. Thanks for your comment.

  7. Jodi says:

    Oh how hard that must have been for you!! So glad it turned out okay. I hope you went to bed and got some rest. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s