Or… Off we stay

The bags still sit by the front door and Dexter is beyond confused.  He knows that suitcases by the door means that someone, possibly he included, is going somewhere.

Two hours before we were to leave and about three hours after I posted that we were almost off on our road trippin’ adventures Carter spiked a fever.  A 103 degree fever.  He was radiating heat and covered in goose bumps and immediately fell asleep after I gave him Ibuprofen.  Husband and I hemmed and hawed and changed our minds a dozen times.  In our minds were were on the road.  Everything was in place.  The hotel reservation was made and our plans were in motion.  Carter would just sleep in the car and we could make it the first leg of our trip.  Maybe he would wake up the next morning and be back to normal.  Maybe he would not.  Maybe he would vomit or have diarrhea while we were driving.  He would be miserable and therefore we would be miserable.  We could not do that to him.

We made the tough but what I feel is the correct decision.  We stayed home.  There is a chance that he will make a full recovery come the morning and if so we will load up the car and drive.  But I am not holding my breath.


About Shoes

I am an elementary school teacher, a former microbiologist, a mom to a herd of two boys, and a grilled cheese sandwich and beer connoisseur.
This entry was posted in Random Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Or… Off we stay

  1. oh, now I understand – I hope he is feeling better – what a worry for you. Bless you guys (I always feel uncomfortable saying that, as if I am a priest or something–but want you to know I am thinking of you)

  2. That sucks! I hope he feels better very soon, and you can have your vacation.

  3. Mary Ann says:

    Aww, that’s too bad. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

  4. mimijk says:

    Oh wow…Poor Carter..and poor you and your husband for having to make the tough call..Now I just hope he recovers quickly and your vacation is just delayed for a brief moment and not cancelled altogether!!

    • shoes says:

      Unfortunately we had to cancel it. Today is our friend Geoff’s birthday and the end of this week wrapped nicely into the fourth of July which Husband has off work. The timing was perfect for the trip but it was just not to be. Hopefully we can reschedule it for later in the summer.

  5. Kids always seem to have the most amazing timing! I hope he gets better soon so you can head off on your adventure.

    • shoes says:

      You have that right. The timing was so bizarre. We were so close but it was just not to be. Carter is still sick so we are going to hang at home.

  6. ktlee says:

    Oh no! Feel better Carter! Sending happy thoughts your way.

  7. Jodi Stone says:

    That is horrible! I always worry about that whenever I am traveling somewhere. What if I get sick? I’m glad it happened before you left instead of when you were four hours from home in the car! I hope he feels better soon!

    • shoes says:

      We were so close to driving the first leg of the trip which was only 4 hours. I am glad we decided not to as he had a rough night. It was the thought of him feeling icky and being stuck in the car (that and the possibility of vomit or other unmentionables happening in the car) that kept us home.

  8. Oh no! So sorry – hope he makes a speedy recovery!

  9. Nancy says:

    Oh no! That’s too bad, for Carter as much as for you. I hope he’s feeling better and you can go on your trip.

    • shoes says:

      Carter is riding the Tylenol/Motrin train to keep the fever at bay. He is in good spirits but, as all of us are, he is bummed about having to cancel the trip.

  10. Hetterbell says:

    Sorry to hear Carter got poorly again. If it’s any comfort to you, when I was little my parents and I had gone away for the weekend and I came over ill out of nowhere so we came straight home. Mum feared it was meningitus, but thankfully it wasn’t. A doctor was called to the campsite where we’d gone. We must have been 4 hours from home, at least, but I didn’t remember anything about the trip until we stopped at a supermarket for medicine half an hour from home. I got rather delirious and our own doctor came to our house once we got home. It turned out to be a virus, and though I felt bad that Mum and Dad missed out on the trip, we all agreed that there was no place like home and the familiar comforts it brings.

    I hope Carter feels better soon and that you’re able to go on your trip. 🙂

    • shoes says:

      Earlier this week it was Cody that was sick and we are pretty sure that Carter picked up what Cody had. You are right that there is no place like home for comfort when you are sick. We are reading books, eating honey toast, and playing with toys until he is on the mend. The trip is off but hopefully we can reschedule it for later in the summer.

      • Hetterbell says:

        I’m so sorry I got it wrong about which one of your sons was ill. I hope Cody stays well, I hope Carter gets better very soon, and I hope you can reschedule your trip. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your honey toast.

        • shoes says:

          Oh, don’t feel sorry about it. Just for us it is a huge difference as Cody is the one who is at risk of having seizures when he gets fevers and Carter does not.

          The honey toast is wonderful. Our farmer’s market honey booth was out of fireweed honey (my favorite) so we tried thistle honey and it is fantastic! If you can find it where you are I highly recommend it.

  11. mommysaidaswearword says:

    I’ll send you healthy-kid vibes tonight. I hope you wake to find a smooth departure.

    • shoes says:

      Bummer, I think your healthy-kid vibes may have been sent to a different house – lucky for them but not so much for us. Thanks anyway! 🙂 We are going to hang out at home and maybe do a day trip or something fun when he recovers.
      I really am quite sad about canceling the Utah trip but what can you do?

  12. Annie says:

    Hopefully as you are reading this, everyone is well! Tough traveling with sickies. Sounds like you opted for a “stay-cation”.

    • shoes says:

      Carter is still running a fever so it was a very good thing his fever presented before we left. It is not much of a “cation” but “stay” we most certainty did. Once he is on the mend we will have to do a fun day trip somewhere.

  13. Katy Zweig says:

    Well that stinks! I really hope he feels better soon but I know how frustrating it must be for you too. Looking on the bright side can be a load of #@#$ when this type of things happen so I’m not going to suggest it. Fevers are miserable and you were right to not travel…could have been a disaster. Hope everyone feels better soon xx

    • shoes says:

      I have gone through various stages of whining, being grumpy, and wallowing in self pity but have reached the acceptance stage. I was so looking forward to a change of scenery, visiting friends in nice warm Utah, and making fun memories with my family (it was really hard unpacking all the unused shorts, skirts, tank tops, and sun screen.) Taking care of feverish children is not really high up on my list of summer fun but it can’t be helped. At least we were not half way into our trip and dealing with sick kiddos.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s